Zinc has long been known for its wide array of uses in our everyday lives. There are even writings from ancient civilizations that show that people have been using zinc for its healing abilities for millennia. It should come as no surprise that zinc oxide has become a popular tool in the healing of the skin.
Zinc is a metallic element that occurs naturally in our world. It’s used in everything from household products to electronic devices to skincare cremes. When zinc is heated and combined with oxygen molecules, zinc oxide can be produced. This material has shown great promise in repairing and maintaining healthy skin.
When doctors think about wound care, their top concern is helping the skin to repair as quickly as possible. Zinc oxide can be a big part of the process, as it serves as a building block for protein synthesis and enzyme development. When zinc oxide comes in contact with skin, it can only be beneficial.
The Many Benefits of Zinc Oxide in Wound Care
Zinc oxide offers a ton of different benefits when it comes to skincare. Its healing qualities make it a common part of wound care and skin development. Here are just a few benefits of using products that feature zinc oxide:
- It can be used in acne treatments. Its skin-healing properties can help reduce acne and heal the skin over time, resulting in clear skin that lasts.
- It can reduce dandruff in patients with scalp care issues. Zinc oxide can get deep into the pores of the skin to restore its strength, helping prevent further dandruff issues.
- It can help prevent sunburns. Zinc oxide has become a very popular ingredient in sunscreens over the years. Natural zinc has shown itself to be as effective or more effective than traditional sunscreen ingredients. Zinc oxide-based sunscreens also protect against a wider range of UVA and UVB rays.
- It can be used in the treatment of warts. Much like acne, warts can cause discoloration and bumps on the surface of the skin. Zinc oxide has proven to be an effective ingredient in wart creams and treatments, reducing the length of time to heal.
- It can aid in the reduction of skin inflammation. From rashes and allergic reactions to rosacea and other inflammatory conditions, zinc oxide has shown to be effective in lowering inflammation faster than many other chemical-based treatments.
- It can defend the skin against certain skin cancers. Basal-cell carcinoma patients commonly receive zinc oxide as part of their treatment, with positive results.
- It can help dry skin to stay moisturized. For patients with serious dryness issues or those who suffer from basic dry skin problems, zinc oxide is known for helping lock in moisture for long periods of time.
- It can help treat pigmentation disorders. Zinc oxide can help heal the skin in patients with melasma and other pigmentation issues, restoring the look of their skin.
- It can assist in slowing the aging process of the skin. Using zinc oxide can help keep skin smooth and moisturized in older patients and those who are prone to wrinkling.
In addition to these benefits, zinc oxide-based adhesive tape used in securing wound dressings can be beneficial to patients. Hy-Tape is a medical adhesive that features zinc oxide as one of its beneficial properties. When adhered to the skin, it can provide a healing effect while keeping wound dressings firmly in place.
Zinc oxide has also been proven effective in treating the wound itself. Preventing bacterial infections and helping the skin to rebuild quicker have made zinc oxide a popular part of total wound care. Today, many doctors use zinc-based materials when treating serious wounds.
Wound Dressing and Zinc Oxide
Dressing any type of wound can be a delicate situation. The patient needs a dressing that will help repair the damaged skin as well as an adhesive that ensures the dressing will stay in place comfortably. A zinc oxide-based adhesive can be exceptionally useful in these situations.
Hy-Tape’s zinc oxide formulation adds extra care to a dressed wound. The tape is strong enough to hold tight any type of wound dressing. It is also gentle enough to be easily removed without further damaging the skin during dressing replacement. The zinc oxide in the adhesive helps protect any areas of skin it contacts.
Careful dressing of a serious wound is vital to the patient’s recovery. Zinc oxide has long been considered a high-quality, natural tool that can speed up the healing process. Not only should it be used in wound dressing, but also in the adhesive of the dressing.
Hy-Tape is made with zinc oxide to help aid in the healing process of a skin wound. The tape helps keep wound dressings in place while also being gentle on the skin. With proper taping of a wound dressing, patients can expect faster recovery time and less pain.
Contact us today to learn more about how Hy-Tape can change the way you dress a wound.